POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Spaceship : Re: Spaceship Server Time
12 May 2024 18:46:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spaceship
From: Alain
Date: 11 Aug 2015 15:45:02
Message: <55ca50be@news.povray.org>

> On 02.08.2015 3:38, BayashiPascal wrote:
>
>> The background is a image map of the milky way. I have no idea how
>> bright it may
>> be viewed from space. I'll see how the image looks if I make it dimmer.
>
> Sadly you would not see the Milkyway and likely also no stars except
> maybe 3 or 4 of the brightest when your eye (or camera settings) are
> adapted to the brightness of Neptune in field of view. That is why
> you don't usually see stars in space photos of ISS or Earth.
>
> However, you could create a HDR image from space combining long
> and short exposures that might look similar to your image, so you
> have room for artistic license :)

Given it's distance from the Sun, 30.1 UA, it receive very little light.
It amount to 1/906 what you get from earth, and it's surface is 14.98
that of the Earth.
One UA been the average distance from the Sun to the Earth.

It thus receive 0.0165 times the light received by the Earth over it's
whole surface.

It's albedo is 0.29, compared to 0.367 for the Earth, making it darker.
It's total surface illuminate as 0.013065 (1.3%) Earth.

So, you'll probably see most of the stars down to a magnitude around 8.

Alain