POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Looking for Water : Re: Looking for Water Server Time
1 Jun 2024 22:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking for Water
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 3 Aug 2015 03:17:00
Message: <55bf156c@news.povray.org>
Le 03/08/2015 05:27, Anthony D. Baye a écrit :
> I need a water material that looks good under multiple light sources but doesn't
> bog down when I render it with radiosity.
>
> The water in my scene is taking forever to render, and I've disabled everything
> but the normal pattern.
>
> Part of the problem might be a low aa threshold combined with a small focal
> blur, but the rest of the scene renders acceptably quickly.
>
> I'd appreciate any help.
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

A bit more context please: is it water for indoor (such as inside tube,
glass, bottle) or outdoor (and kind of latitude: the sea of polynesia is
far different from the waves of scotland, same water, yet not the same
final colour).

Maybe also limiting the trace level, if it does not impact too much the
result, might provided a speed up. Default is 5, which in 3.7 counts for
the reflexion but not the transmission when the ior does not change. If
you have a kind of echo chamber (two partially reflecting surfaces on
each other) it might skyrocket the number of ray to launch, and the
render time. Tunning down the max_trace_level can reduces that echo
effect (but might impact realism if it's an important aspect of your scene).

Are you using media in your water ? why is there a normal pattern ?
(what is the normal pattern in use ? can it be simplified or removed ?)