POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Spaceship : Re: Spaceship Server Time
14 May 2024 07:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spaceship
From: clipka
Date: 1 Aug 2015 04:58:33
Message: <55bc8a39$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.08.2015 um 05:56 schrieb BayashiPascal:
>> Looks pretty mean.
>
> Thanks for your comment.
> Do you mean you don't like the image ? Can you explain me why ?

As Stephen already interpreted correctly, that's "mean" in the sense of
"I hope that thing is not pointing its guns in my general direction" ;)
- pretty much orthogonal to the question of whether I like the image in
its entirety or not.

But now that you're asking: I think the background stars are too bright
in relation to Neptune and the ship, and Neptune looks a bit too flat
somehow. I know the planet is pretty featureless, but AFAIK the blue
stuff is a deep layer of gas, not a solid surface, so at least it
shouldn't be perfectly crisp at the rim. (Then again I've never been
assigned to the Stealthy Owls squad, so I don't know first hand how
Neptune looks like in reality.) Also, adding some small-scale turbulence
to the texture might help overcome the fact that the image map seems a
tad too low-res for that scale.

Last not least I see some color banding artifacts on Neptune's surface,
but those should be trivial to eliminate by using the "Dither=yes" .ini
option.

(Oh, and all of the above doesn't prevent me from liking the image. :))