POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Reviving some pov4 discussion : Re: Reviving some pov4 discussion Server Time
27 Apr 2024 00:44:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reviving some pov4 discussion
From: clipka
Date: 31 Jul 2015 11:52:08
Message: <55bb99a8@news.povray.org>
Am 30.07.2015 um 12:15 schrieb Warp:

> One of the original plans for POV-Ray 4 was to make a complete rehaul
> of the SDL from scratch, making it a lot more versatilve, expressive,
> powerful and faster (via byte-compilation). This would have been a
> completely new input language that's different from the current one
> (but with, perhaps, a backwards compatibility mode to support existing
> scene files.)
>
> I have no idea what the current plans are, but I have the impression
> that the idea of this kind of complete overhaul has been pretty much
> scratched, in favor of simply enhancing the current SDL. (If I'm wrong,
> I'd love to hear about the current development ideas on this.)

The idea is not scratched at all. It's a big endeavour though, compared
to the time available, and some other fancy stuff can't wait to get
included (or, rather, I can't wait to include it ;-)), so it needs to be
woven into the current SDL.

> Now, I'm not saying that POV-Ray should implement a "shader" language
> that can do absolutely anything (although if well designed and implemented,
> that would be great). However, I think that future expansion of the
> current SDL should, in my opinion, at least go more into that direction.

I'm well aware of your wish for this road to be taken, and while it's
currently invisible in the SDL, under the hood things are already moving
in that direction (your past posts have been quite inspirational in this
respect). More and more portions of the code get clearly delineated from
each other, modularized, and shoved into well-defined polymorphic
classes - which will make it a whole lot easier to plug in user-defined
code.

One of the next steps on the agenda, for instance, will be to smash the
basic shading code into handy congruent pieces; under the hood, a single
texture layer will then not have one phong, one blinn-phong and one
diffuse component, but rather just have an arbitrary bunch of basic
shading effects, each of which can be phong, blinn-phong, diffuse, or
any of a number of more sophisticated models yet to be implemented - one
of which could be a wrapper for user-supplied code.

Initially, the parser will limit the power of this change by retaining
the current syntax, and just mapping it to the new internal model behind
the scenes, but I can imagine extending the current SDL syntax to breach
the current limit of number and type of effects soon after.

However, the user-supplied code portion of the scheme - and actually any
user-supplied code - /will/ have to wait for the parser rewrite:
User-supplied code needs /some/ sufficiently expressive syntax, a parser
for that, and a sufficiently powerful VM to run on - and I guess we
agree that it makes perfect sense to make that identical to the new
syntax, parser and VM for the general scene description.