POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Blob: problem or no problem? : Re: Blob: problem or no problem? Server Time
10 Jun 2024 16:53:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blob: problem or no problem?
From: scott
Date: 20 Jul 2015 04:53:39
Message: <55acb713$1@news.povray.org>
> However, mine still shows a slight discontinuity.  My brain is too fuzzy
> right now to dive into the calculus, but it seems that what POV-Ray's
> formula and mine have in common is that they both have a discontinuity
> (probably at the 2nd derivative level) where the field of one component
> intersects the surface of another.  The massive Photoshop engine in our
> visual cortex is sensitive to this discontinuity, although you cannot
> see it by looking at a silhouette of the object.

Yes, if you have a reflective finish at all then it will show up any
discontinuities at the 2nd derivative level very obviously. For example
if you make a simple rounded box with cylinders and spheres there is a
step change in the rate of change of normal direction (2nd derivative of
position) at the join between the flat faces and the cylinders. It won't
be so visible with a diffuse finish, but any specular or reflective
finish will show up a definite "edge" that your eye will easily pick up
as a "join" or "crease".

I don't remember for sure, but even 3rd level discontinuities might be
noticeable on reflective surfaces too. You better ask someone who
designs car body panels :-)