POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Height field change in UberPOV? : Re: Height field change in UberPOV? Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:02:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height field change in UberPOV?
From: clipka
Date: 30 Jun 2015 21:41:29
Message: <55934549$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.07.2015 um 02:18 schrieb Cousin Ricky:

>> A source file fix for POV-Ray proper is available now in the master
>> branch at GitHub.
>
> All I was able to find was a diff readout for 3 files.  Is that all
> there is, or is there a new complete alpha release?  I guess I'm still
> learning my way around GitHub.

I guess you're refering to this page:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/commit/d1bb614

Those are the changes that comprise the fix. Such a bunch of changes is
called a "commit".

(A "commit" is also sometimes used in the sense of a particular version
of the entire source code. Not surprisingly, in this sense it refers to
the source code as it was right after the change was submitted.)

To get the most recent version of the entire source code via the GitHub
web interface, go to https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray, and click on the
"Download ZIP" button at the right margin. (To be precise, that'll give
you the most recent version of the "master" branch.)

You can also retrieve the source code via the "git" Unix command line
tool, but you have to know how (which I don't - not off the top of my
head anyway; IIRC Jim Holsenback had posted some standard recipe a while
ago, but from my experience it can be a bit more difficult than that at
times).

With "complete alpha release" you're presumably refering to the releases
at https://github.com/c-lipka/povray/releases.

Actually, if there is any such thing as an "alpha release" of POV-Ray,
then /any/ update to the "master" branch of the repository constitutes
such a release.

The stuff made available on https://github.com/c-lipka/povray/releases
is just semi-official builds of snapshots from the official repository,
provided as a courtesy to Windows users interested in test-driving the
latest and greatest stuff, who can't just pull the source code and build
their own binaries. The fact that these are labeled as "releases" is
entirely technical, just like the fact that they are accompanied by
source code packages. It just so happens that GitHub's "release"
mechanism is the most convenient way to distribute the binaries. (Also
note that those semi-official builds don't live in the official
repository, but in a clone on my personal GitHub account.)

> I applied those 3 changes to my alpha.8141620 files and recompiled.  The
> new executable confirms that alpha.8150025 is running, but the problem
> remains.

I'm quite surprised to hear that. I recommend to try and build again
from a full snapshot of alpha.8150025, and see what that does.

Did you experiment with the "noise_generator" workaround?