POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Height field change in UberPOV? : Re: Height field change in UberPOV? Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:27:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height field change in UberPOV?
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 30 Jun 2015 20:17:58
Message: <559331b6@news.povray.org>
On 2015-06-30 01:48 PM (-4), clipka wrote:
> Am 30.06.2015 um 19:39 schrieb clipka:
>> I can confirm that this is a bug.
>>
>> In a nutshell, POV-Ray defalts to the wrong noise generator during
>> parsing.
>>
>> The behaviour was broken by commit 35a20c2 (2014-06-13).
>>
>> As a workaround, use "noise_generator 2" in the global settings.
>
> A source file fix for POV-Ray proper is available now in the master
> branch at GitHub.

All I was able to find was a diff readout for 3 files.  Is that all
there is, or is there a new complete alpha release?  I guess I'm still
learning my way around GitHub.

I applied those 3 changes to my alpha.8141620 files and recompiled.  The
new executable confirms that alpha.8150025 is running, but the problem
remains.  I went back to GitHub to see if I had somehow miscopied the
changes, but I couldn't find the page again.  (Like I said, I still have
trouble navigating GitHub.)

The good news is that sometime between 3.7.0.0 and 3.7.1-alpha, another
bug was fixed: random white splotches in radiosity renders.  I had not
reported it to date, because I was unable to narrow down the problem to
create a simplified scene file.  (The attached renders may look simple,
but they were generated by a render rig with somewhat complex
internals.)  Thomas de Groot seemed to have a similar problem when
testing out Scott Boham's SkySim, but I concluded that those anomalies
were completely unrelated to my problem.

splotches-36.jpg - Rendered by POV-Ray 3.6.1.

splotches-37.jpg - Rendered by POV-Ray 3.7.0.0.  Note the ugly white
splotches.  When the hills are deleted, there are no splotches.  There
are circumstances in which the hills are present /without/ splotches,
but I have been unable to determine a pattern.

splotches-37norad.jpg - Rendered by POV-Ray 3.7.0.0 without radiosity.
There are no splotches, so they were somehow triggered by radiosity.

splotches-371.jpg - Rendered by POV-Ray 3.7.1.  The hills are different,
but the white splotches are gone.

splotches-371ng2.jpg - Rendered by POV-Ray 3.7.1 with noise_generator 2
in global settings.  The hills are back as desired.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'splotches-36.jpg' (51 KB) Download 'splotches-37.jpg' (58 KB) Download 'splotches-37norad.jpg' (53 KB) Download 'splotches-371.jpg' (54 KB) Download 'splotches-371ng2.jpg' (53 KB)

Preview of image 'splotches-36.jpg'
splotches-36.jpg

Preview of image 'splotches-37.jpg'
splotches-37.jpg

Preview of image 'splotches-37norad.jpg'
splotches-37norad.jpg

Preview of image 'splotches-371.jpg'
splotches-371.jpg

Preview of image 'splotches-371ng2.jpg'