POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Bug in hypercomplex fractals? : Re: Bug in hypercomplex fractals? Server Time
13 May 2024 23:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in hypercomplex fractals?
From: Alain
Date: 28 Jun 2015 17:45:42
Message: <55906b06@news.povray.org>
Le 15-06-28 03:58, clipka a écrit :
> Overhauling the POV-Ray codebase, I've stumbled across something
> surprising (to me) in the implementation of the fractal currently
> implemented via the `HypercomplexFunctionFractalRules` type. Can someone
> with a bit of "fractal fu" please help me and test this out?
>
> In SDL parlance, that should be any fractal using:
>
>      julia_fractal {
>        hypercomplex FUNCTION
>      }
>
> where FUNCTION is any of:
>
>      acos
>      acosh
>      asin
>      asinh
>      atan
>      atanh
>      cosh
>      cos
>      exp
>      ln
>      pwr(FLOAT,FLOAT)
>      sin
>      sinh
>      tan
>      tanh
>
> Please tell me whether you think the results are ok or bogus.

The oddity may explain the strange results I got a while back when
testing those functions.
I got missmatched dirrect image, shadows and reflection.
Often, it looked as is I was looking at the inside surfaces.
The self shadowing was often just plain wrong.

I still have the images and code and may post them if asked.

Alain