POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Bug in hypercomplex fractals? : Re: Bug in hypercomplex fractals? Server Time
14 May 2024 12:40:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in hypercomplex fractals?
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 28 Jun 2015 08:19:15
Message: <558fe643$1@news.povray.org>

Le 28/06/2015 09:58, clipka a écrit :
> Overhauling the POV-Ray codebase, I've stumbled across something
> surprising (to me) in the implementation of the fractal currently
> implemented via the `HypercomplexFunctionFractalRules` type. Can
> someone with a bit of "fractal fu" please help me and test this
> out?
>
> In SDL parlance, that should be any fractal using:
>
> julia_fractal { ... hypercomplex FUNCTION ... }
>
> where FUNCTION is any of:
>
> acos acosh asin asinh atan atanh cosh cos exp ln pwr(FLOAT,FLOAT)
> sin sinh tan tanh
>
> Please tell me whether you think the results are ok or bogus.
>
> For reference, the following values of FUNCTION should be fine:
>
> cube sqr reciprocal
>
> The oddity in the code is as old as POV-Ray 3.6.1, maybe even
> older.

The same code seems to be already in 3.1g

Checking exp, the computation seems ok (in regard to >
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ExponentialFunction.html

)

At least hcmpl.c / hcmpl.cpp code seems ok

exp(z) = exp(x).(cos y + i.sin y) with z = x+i.y (x and y in R)

That is for the complex (in C) operations.

Hypercomplex is a waste family (see
> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HypercomplexNumber.html

)

The hypercomplex of povray seems to match the Davenport's type

Now, for something interesting in Normal_Calc_HCompl_Func (from
hcmplx.c in 3.1g, it uses global (from fractal.h ) to perform
computation, as input...
how did it handle more than one object at once ?
(Sx, Sy, Sz and Sw)

What I do not like either, in 3.7 now, is the conflict of name between
IStack (as type) and IStack[4] (array of pointer to array of DBL)
(IStack[] replaces the Sx, Sy, Sz, Sw; I have yet to find where it is
filled)