POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Bug in hypercomplex fractals? : Bug in hypercomplex fractals? Server Time
13 May 2024 18:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  Bug in hypercomplex fractals?
From: clipka
Date: 28 Jun 2015 03:58:17
Message: <558fa919@news.povray.org>
Overhauling the POV-Ray codebase, I've stumbled across something
surprising (to me) in the implementation of the fractal currently
implemented via the `HypercomplexFunctionFractalRules` type. Can someone
with a bit of "fractal fu" please help me and test this out?

In SDL parlance, that should be any fractal using:

     julia_fractal {
       hypercomplex FUNCTION
     }

where FUNCTION is any of:

     acos
     acosh
     asin
     asinh
     atan
     atanh
     cosh
     cos
     exp
     ln
     pwr(FLOAT,FLOAT)
     sin
     sinh
     tan
     tanh

Please tell me whether you think the results are ok or bogus.

For reference, the following values of FUNCTION should be fine:

     cube
     sqr
     reciprocal

The oddity in the code is as old as POV-Ray 3.6.1, maybe even older.