POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : An artifact when rendering torus(negative major_r) : Re: An artifact when rendering torus(negative major_r) Server Time
17 May 2024 16:57:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An artifact when rendering torus(negative major_r)
From: clipka
Date: 9 Apr 2015 15:30:01
Message: <5526d339$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.04.2015 um 21:01 schrieb clipka:
> Am 09.04.2015 um 18:17 schrieb clipka:
>
>> Yes, this certainly is a bug. I haven't looked at the code yet, but
>> judging from the effect I would assume that the surface normal at a
>> given intersection point is computed as the (normalized) vector from the
>> closest point on the "centroid circle" to the surface point; obviously
>> this breaks down for the inner spindle of a spindle torus.
>
> And that's exactly what's happening.
>
> I've just submitted a fix to GitHub
> (https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/commit/c3551f249c89ffc817a4deb2acea0412a0b9913f).

BTW, the intention of the new implementation is that a spindle torus
(one that intersects itself) behaves like a union, i.e.:

- the spindle volume (the volume of self-intersection) is considered to
be inside the torus

- the spindle surface is visible (provided you find a way to look
through the regular torus surface), and textured as a straightforward
continuation of the regular torus surface; most notably, when using an
interior_texture, the spindle surface's side facing the coordinate
origin uses the interior_texture, while the other side uses the regular
texture.

(If someone wants to do me a favor, can you please test whether the UV
mapping on the spindle surface makes sense.)

Also, specifying either a negative major or minor radius now has the
same effect as using the "inverse" keyword, but prompts a parse warning.
(Specifying both a negative major and minor radius negates the effect,
but will prompt two warnings.)