POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : An artifact when rendering torus(negative major_r) : Re: An artifact when rendering torus(negative major_r) Server Time
17 May 2024 17:59:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An artifact when rendering torus(negative major_r)
From: clipka
Date: 9 Apr 2015 12:17:24
Message: <5526a614@news.povray.org>
Am 09.04.2015 um 12:33 schrieb Stephen:
> On 09/04/2015 07:33, And wrote:
>> ... this is what I rendered.
>
> That is the pattern I got when I used your original code. But something
> looks wrong with the shading and shadows. So I did a series of renders
> with a simpler material that is matt. I orbited the light around your
> shape and included a couple of primitives (two spheres and a lathe)
> using the same texture, for comparison. The Blue arrow points to the light.
> Unless someone can explain it by the shape of the object. It looks like
> a bug to me.

Thanks for experimenting with this.

Yes, this certainly is a bug. I haven't looked at the code yet, but
judging from the effect I would assume that the surface normal at a
given intersection point is computed as the (normalized) vector from the
closest point on the "centroid circle" to the surface point; obviously
this breaks down for the inner spindle of a spindle torus.

Is this the Poly_Torus or the inbuilt torus primitive?