POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : An artifact when rendering torus(negative major_r) : Re: An artifact when rendering torus(negative major_r) Server Time
3 May 2024 03:28:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An artifact when rendering torus(negative major_r)
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 5 Apr 2015 01:42:40
Message: <5520cb50$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/03/2015 09:16 AM, And wrote:
> This is the picture

I've found tori to be artifact-prone whenever the major radius is less
than the minor radius.  With negative major R, I've gotten bounding
artifacts.  With zero major R, the entire object is one big coincident
surface artifact.  With major R less than half minor r, I get artifacts
with CSG merge, although I have found a workaround for my particular
situation.  I suspect that this last artifact can show up with r > R >
r/2, but I haven't tried to come up with such a scenario.

These problems are probably due to the way the polynomial object works.
  (The torus primitive is nothing more than a garden variety polynomial,
with some optimized bounding.)

Have you tried the sturm keyword?  (I'm really sleepy now, and haven't
yet looked at your code.)