POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : PLEASE ASSIST: Smooth Blob towards Cylinder : Re: PLEASE ASSIST: Smooth Blob towards Cylinder Server Time
16 May 2024 13:07:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PLEASE ASSIST: Smooth Blob towards Cylinder
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 26 Mar 2015 02:07:07
Message: <5513a20b$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/25/2015 12:47 PM, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> actually, using blobs is not difficult, still, I have a case where I
> self simply don't succeed to find the right values. If you like, try
> yourself on it and help me with a solution.
>
> Basically, I have a more or less cylindrical body, and wanted a smooth
> transformation into a cylinder across, at its end. My own solution
> doesn't look good, after days of trying.

My historical tendency when faced with intractable blobs has been to
give up on the blobs and use isosurfaces.  In fact, I got so much into
isosurfaces (slow as they are) that I wrote several functions for
isosurface blobbing.  Two of them are included in the Object Collection
module RoundEdge.  They are more predictable than the blobbing methods
described in the user manual, being formulated to seamlessly match
POV-Ray primitives.  This way, instead of having a big, slow isosurface,
you can reduce the render time by confining the isosurface to the join
areas, and using the primitives for the rest of the form.

The RoundEdge module contains other functions for matching blobs to
primitives, but those functions don't seem applicable to the shape you
have so far.  (I'm assuming you want the red part of the shape to
transition smoothly into the white part.)