POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problem with orthographic camera : Re: Problem with orthographic camera Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:30:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with orthographic camera
From: Mike Williams
Date: 2 Sep 2005 03:25:44
Message: <54mtxEAw5$FDFwLr@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it KalleK who wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I wanted to cut a "pyramid without a top" out of a box. This is for a
>backround of a game so I used an orthographic camera.
>  But the shading is all wrong. To show the problem, I squeezed the
>prism to have a really shallow angle (see the scale-statement in the
>prism), so nearly no difference in the shading of the box and the cutted
>out surface should be visible. Uncommenting the first three lines in the
>camera-statement shows the problem.

The problem seems to be related to the fact that the camera is pointing
perfectly vertically down. If you change the camera location to
<320,500,239.9> instead of <320,500,240>, then it all looks fine.

When you then remove the temporary scale statement, you can move your
orthographic camera much closer to the vertical <320,500,239.999999>,
easily close enough to be indistinguishable from the true vertical in
terms of the geometry.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure