POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Travelled distance rays : Re: Travelled distance rays Server Time
16 May 2024 16:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Travelled distance rays
From: scott
Date: 20 Feb 2015 10:33:22
Message: <54e753c2$1@news.povray.org>
> My idea was to take a blue and a red light source, one without any fading and
> the other with a fade_power and fade_distance
>
> The ratio between Red and Blue intensity should give me the attenuation, from
> which I can then derive the travelled distance of each ray.
>
> This work wonderfully well in case the fade_distance is equal to the look_to
> point of the camera. However, for all shorter and longer distances the trick
> does not work and does not give good results.

You might get better results by rendering with a white light - once
without attentuation and another render with attenuation. The reason
being that HDR formats (I assume you are outputing to an HDR image
format for better precision) IIRC only store a "magnitude" for each
pixel, so if red and green are vastly different trying to calculate the
ratio will have a large error.