POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Aerodynamics question : Re: Aerodynamics question Server Time
16 May 2024 10:48:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Aerodynamics question
From: Doctor John
Date: 19 Feb 2015 00:48:29
Message: <54e5792d@news.povray.org>
On 19/02/15 02:53, Mike Horvath wrote:
> I'm building a bubble around my spaceship to protect from "drag" at
> interstellar velocities. This site says that for subsonic craft a
> parabola is a better shape for the nose. However, an ogive is better at
> supersonic speeds.
>
> http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/aerodynamics/q0151.shtml
>
> Which applies in outer space? Or, should I not use either and use a
> teardrop shape instead?
>
> And, is the piriform shape a good one to use? See here:

http://csi.chemie.tu-darmstadt.de/ak/immel/script/redirect.cgi?filename=http://csi.chemie.tu-darmstadt.de/ak/immel/graphics/povray35/teardrop.html

My immediate reaction is none of the above ;-)

We are not talking aerodynamics here - take a look at the ISS [pretty
picture here
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/03/nasa-iss-03-10-2011.jpg].
It is not travelling in interstellar space but neither is it travelling
in (what we define as) an atmosphere.

I would suggest that you concentrate on protecting your craft from
particles travelling with a relative kinetic energy large enough to
cause significant damage.

John
--
Protect the Earth