POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Spinner colony (again) : Re: Spinner colony (again) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:02:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spinner colony (again)
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 18 Feb 2015 08:25:08
Message: <54e492b4$1@news.povray.org>
Le 18/02/2015 07:32, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 2/15/2015 7:48 AM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 15.02.2015 um 04:07 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>>> I've been playing around with different scales for the habitat. I prefer
>>> the larger scale (left in the image). But I know there's no way I can
>>> render it with the quality levels turned up higher. I tried a couple
>>> days ago but after 2.5 hours it was still stuck in that stage between
>>> parsing and actually rendering. I can't spare my computer for the week
>>> or however long it would require to render the scene.
>>
>> Sounds like you might be hitting the physical memory limits of your
>> computer, and entering the abyss of swap hell. In that case I'd wager
>> even a week to be a very optimistic estimate.
>>

> I was keeping an eye on my physical memory and I don't remember it going
> past 4GB (I have 8GB total). My swap file is also on an SSD and I don't
> remember much activity (big blinking red light on PC case) there either.

As long as OS is 64 bits, no problem.

Note that Windows 32 bits can manage at best 3.5GB of memory, and that
applications are allowed to have at most 2GB of private memory, IIRC.
(hence probably the comment about linux being better... for 32 bits, but
it 's only a small improvement, as it is 3GB instead of 2GB)

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.