POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Spinner colony (again) : Re: Spinner colony (again) Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:59:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spinner colony (again)
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 11 Feb 2015 03:46:01
Message: <54db16c9$1@news.povray.org>
Le 10/02/2015 22:25, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 2/10/2015 3:50 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:

>> Also, given the kind of scale for the blue rotating cylinder, you should
>> have a small line of agridomes from the main body to the current group.
>
> Not sure what you mean without a sketch.

  instead of --%%%--O--%%%--

the part between % and O could have some extra aligned agridomes

Something like --%%%**O**%%%--

Also, some water-tank(s) could be nearby

>> Which also mean that the current section of the support might actually
>> be unrealistic (they are too big in proportion), and the six shaped
>> stars might also enjoy being a mesh of triangular sections.
>
> Not sure what you mean.

What is the diameter of the rotating body ? compare it to the
triangulated support used to attach the agridomes and to the section of
the six lines which are making a star around the central axis: if you
were able to make such big lines inside, why is the outer support meshed
of thinner diameter ?

>> In Babylon 5, the central axis is a support for a transportation system
>> (kind of metro). Presently here, it does not seems to have a purpose and
>> its length (as a single segment) is unrealistic. Or I get really wrong
>> about the scale of the spinning colony.
>
> The central axis is actually the light source. It serves no structural
> function.

Make that central light modular (segments would have to be replaced as
they get broken): small linear section as pavement on the cylinder. at
least 6 sections (but more according to the diameter) to cover the round
perimeter. A small variation of hue and saturation of the white "light"
colour along the axis might be interesting.

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.