POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Spinner colony (again) : Re: Spinner colony (again) Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:48:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spinner colony (again)
From: Alain
Date: 11 Feb 2015 00:06:23
Message: <54dae34f@news.povray.org>
Le 15-02-10 13:11, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 2/9/2015 7:06 PM, Alain wrote:
>> I see two solutions:
>> 1 - Place the domes closer to the station's body, maybe in a circle
>> around it and push the pannels outward beyong the domes.
>
> This is interesting. This would induce "gravity", but the exposure to
> the sun would not be as good since the domes would all face inwards.

I did not mention turning the domes around, just move them around in a
circle pattern keeping the orientation the same.

By the way, you do need at least some gravity for the agridomes. Plants
don't grow correctly without some gravity.
If there is no gravity, you'll probably be limites to unicellular algae,
and the agridomes would be changed into agritanks...

>> 2 - Keep the current geometry, but rotate the domes or pannels 90°
>> arount the main axis of the station.
>>
>> Alain
>
> Not sure if I understand. You mean at right angles with respect to each
> other? I think Le_Forgeron has a better idea in this case.

Just keep the solar pannels as they are, and place the domes on an arm
going up and down relative to the present image.

> Except that I think both of you misunderstand. The *entire* station does
> not rotate around the central axis. Just the inner shell (currently
> colored blue) rotates. The outer shell remains fixed. I don't have a
> good explanation why I chose to do it this way.

I clearly remember that.

> Anyway, I've attached my latest design. The panels and domes are no
> longer blocking each other. But I think it is ugly. :(
>
> What do you think?

A third solution made possible by the stationary outer shell:
Have one or more "agri-arm" holding the agridomes or agritanks.
Have one or more "energy arm" holding the solar pannels.
Those two kinds of arms can be set in any non-obstructing pattern.