POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Spinner colony (again) : Re: Spinner colony (again) Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:02:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spinner colony (again)
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 10 Feb 2015 15:50:57
Message: <54da6f31$1@news.povray.org>
Le 10/02/2015 19:11, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 2/9/2015 7:06 PM, Alain wrote:
>> I see two solutions:
>> 1 - Place the domes closer to the station's body, maybe in a circle
>> around it and push the pannels outward beyong the domes.
>
> This is interesting. This would induce "gravity", but the exposure to
> the sun would not be as good since the domes would all face inwards.
>

>> 2 - Keep the current geometry, but rotate the domes or pannels 90°
>> arount the main axis of the station.
>>
>> Alain
>
> Not sure if I understand. You mean at right angles with respect to each
> other? I think Le_Forgeron has a better idea in this case.
>
> Except that I think both of you misunderstand. The *entire* station does
> not rotate around the central axis. Just the inner shell (currently
> colored blue) rotates. The outer shell remains fixed. I don't have a
> good explanation why I chose to do it this way.

Fixed is relative. the outer shell should have a symmetry even if "not
moving". Or unless it is in a gravity field that would define a up and
down (such as in low orbit of a planet).

> Anyway, I've attached my latest design. The panels and domes are no
> longer blocking each other. But I think it is ugly. :(

And fragile: the connection of the solar panels are going to have so
much stress that they would break. Or you need to remove that 90° angle

> What do you think?

Assuming the rear is a nuclear pulse engine (detonating small nuclear
balls to get acceleration), the living blue zone is far to near the
engine, and the solar panels & agridome will get separated away from the
central body.

Also, given the kind of scale for the blue rotating cylinder, you should
have a small line of agridomes from the main body to the current group.

Which also mean that the current section of the support might actually
be unrealistic (they are too big in proportion), and the six shaped
stars might also enjoy being a mesh of triangular sections.

In Babylon 5, the central axis is a support for a transportation system
(kind of metro). Presently here, it does not seems to have a purpose and
its length (as a single segment) is unrealistic. Or I get really wrong
about the scale of the spinning colony.

About the solar panels: they are far too perfect on alignment. Can they
be folded independently ?

The length of the support of the agridomes also seems to be unjustified.
What about some agridome in construction or some docking station at the
very end ?

Powerful solar panels but the distance to the users seems huge: the lost
by joule effect might be important. It might be interesting for the
agridome that some solar panels act as mirror to provide more lights (so
they should be orientable to perform such purpose).

Last: how do you protect agridome from strong solar wind ? (in case of
solar eruption) Could the solar panels provide some shielding ?