POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Soft Shadows? : Re: Soft Shadows? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 12:43:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Soft Shadows?
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 9 Feb 2015 05:25:31
Message: <54d88b1b$1@news.povray.org>
>> I don't see how it's a workaround.
>
> Well it's not a solution, it's just a convincing substitute for many situations.
> For example you could use an array of area lights to sort of fake the soft
> shadows for an omni-directional point light, and whilst it won't quite be as
> good or behave in quite the right way, it could still be convincing enough for
> most purposes.

I really don't seem to understand what you are talking about. Your
solution for soft shadows, or what you believe other renderers use,
sounds exactly the same as a highly inefficient implementation of
area_lights in POV-Ray.
In POV-Ray light_sources are omni-directional by default, so when you
make them into area_lights, they too are omni-directional.

Also, area_lights are only workarounds in that they (by default) only
affect shadows. Add area_illumination, and they also affect shading and
highlights. In no way are area_lights with area_illumination more a
workaround than your solution sounds. I would even say it's the other way.