POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Write to image metadata : Re: Write to image metadata Server Time
29 Apr 2024 14:04:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Write to image metadata
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 9 Feb 2015 02:44:19
Message: <54d86553$1@news.povray.org>
Le 08/02/2015 20:24, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 2/8/2015 2:15 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>> Le 08/02/2015 19:27, Mike Horvath a écrit :
>>> I think this was asked already a while ago, but are there any plans on
>>> letting people write to image metadata from within POVray?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> Available room in metadata (including number of bytes and encoding)
>> varies a lot from one format to another.
>>
>> So far, povray writes to metadata, its own choice of data, as something
>> like 4 lines, up each to 80 characters (no line feed, no tab). (that's
>> kind of least common form for all formats that support metadata)
>>
>> First two lines are used for platform & compiler, but the last 2 lines
>> are kind of opened, if you compile with METADATA_COMMENT_3 and
>> METADATA_COMMENT_4 to be either a constant string or (more interesting)
>> what ever string-returning-function(s) that you want.
>>
>> That is for the comment part.
>> Other metadata such as software, date and render time might get inside
>> the part written, but sometime there is no such place for such info.
>>
>> So, you're just one custom compilation away from something you might
>> want. Or you want to be more precise about your metadata.
>>
>> (All above only for 3.7 and onwards)
>>

> OK, thanks. Yes, I meant the comment part. I just checked a Windows 7
> PNG file and don't see anything besides besides color depth, format,
> dimensions, etc.. XnView doesn't show the comment either.

Now testing the windows binary of povray 3.7: the comments are there, at
least gimp shows them in Image/Property/Comments :

Render Date: 2015-02-09 07:36:43Z
Platform: i686-pc-win-sse2
Compiler: msvc 10

Within XnView, I can "Edit"/"Edit comment" and see that it is there too
(but on 2 lines instead of 3...or rather a single line: in fact
line-feed are not displayed correctly, the small-rectangle glyph is
displayed instead)

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.