POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : UV texture scale center : Re: UV texture scale center Server Time
18 May 2024 01:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UV texture scale center
From: clipka
Date: 26 Jan 2015 16:42:51
Message: <54c6b4db@news.povray.org>
Am 26.01.2015 um 09:23 schrieb Mr:

> as listed here and in the Blender interface,the default is a cube,
>
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/World/Background#Textures
>
> "Blender can use an 2D image which it maps to a very large Box or sphere which
> encompasses the entire scene"

There's nothing in that sentence (nor anywhere else on that page for
that matter) saying that the default is a cube; it explicitly says "Box
or sphere".

Again, my suggestion is to post an environment map as used by Blender,
to have a closer look at the mapping.

> Here is the function translating the map type:
>
>      elif wts.texture_coords == 'ANGMAP':
>          image_mapBG = " map_type 1 "

That's probably wrong. I suspect the AngMap type is a mapping of the
kind made popular by Paul Devebec, as seen here:

http://www.pauldebevec.com/Probes/

AFAIK this should correspond to POV-Ray's "fisheye angle 360" camera
projection.

Speaking of Paul Devebec's light probes page, if Blender's default
mapping is indeed a cubic one, chances are it matches the "Vertical
Cross Cube Format" also shown on Paul Devebec's page.

POV-Ray currently does not provide a map_type for eiter of Paul
Devebec's mappings (yet). I do concede that this is a pity, and I'm
inclined to tackle it soon.

As for map_type 1, that one probably corresponds to Blender's "sphere"
mapping, possibly with rotation about the Y-axis and/or mirroring.

>      elif wts.texture_coords == 'TUBE':
>          image_mapBG = " map_type 2 "

That might also be wrong. map_type 2 cannot be reasonably used on sky
spheres, that's for sure; it corresponds to a "cylinder 3" camera
projection, while Blender is more likely to use a mapping corresponding
to a "cylinder 1" camera projection.