POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Development in POV-Ray : Re: Development in POV-Ray Server Time
26 Apr 2024 23:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Development in POV-Ray
From: clipka
Date: 18 Jan 2015 11:44:01
Message: <54bbe2d1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.01.2015 um 19:53 schrieb bakom:
> I am a Gurwinder and love to work on Ray-Tracing. As POV-Ray is powerful
> raytracer, I have asked many queries and got very good response from the
> community.
> I want to become a part of developer of POV-Ray.
> I want to know that from where ( online or in documentation )  I came to know
> about under-developing part of POV-Ray. Are there any upcoming tasks on which I
> can work.

As you are posting on the Unix newsgroup, I presume your development
expertise is primarily with Unix systems.

We definitely do need someone to take care of the Unix-specific portions
of the software, as at present the dev team is dominated by Windows
jockeys, and while they can find their way around the Unix portion of
the code if needs be, they don't have the time and energy to give it the
love and attention it deserves.

If you are also familiar with Unix build tools (be it automake or
otherwise), then a major overhaul of the Unix build process would be a
welcome contribution as well.

If you're good at 3D maths, there would also be some ray-surface
intersection tests and similar code requiring an overhaul (most notably
the sphere sweep primitive).

Trying to fix open bugs (we do have some of those) might also be a good
way to start into POV-Ray development.

Once you've familiarized yourself a bit with the POV-Ray code, there are
certainly enough other tasks to keep you busy ;)