POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Saturn Ring - Second wip : Re: Saturn Ring - Second wip Server Time
2 Jul 2024 23:25:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saturn Ring - Second wip
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Jan 2015 03:19:20
Message: <54b62688$1@news.povray.org>
On 13-1-2015 22:08, MichaelJF wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> a very nice iso_surface indeed. IMO a bit to regular and there are no gaps.
> Looking at a picture from Cassini I wonder where the different colors of the
> rings come from. There are yellowish parts up to a certain degree of blue. May
> be these colors are only due to perspective and reflections of the planet itself
> since the rings consists of ice to the main part.

Thanks Michael. I can work a bit more on the regularity although when
you see the Cassini images, the ring build up seems very regular
overall. Gaps: Note that this is /only/ the B-ring! As I am travelling
towards the Cassini Division (where the 'Mountains' are) the other rings
are irrelevant. However, they are easy to add in the isosurface code
with appropriate difference/union/intersection constructions, or
individual isosurfaces of course as the rings have different densities.

The colours are indeed puzzling. I suppose they point to differences in
composition or dust content in the rings. I have not (yet) added that
but it should be easy to do as an additional semitransparent pigment
over the ring.
.

> BTW: One of your parts looks a bit like an open mouthed (comic like) shark;-)
> Interesting that the iso_surface functions produces such a nice artifact.

I noticed too! Partly a perspective effect.

--
Thomas