POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Saturn Ring - a first wip : Re: Saturn Ring - a first wip Server Time
5 Jul 2024 03:46:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saturn Ring - a first wip
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Jan 2015 07:28:31
Message: <54b11aef@news.povray.org>
On 6-1-2015 18:59, Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> Regarding the isosurface function I still haven't fully figured
> out how to apply a fine pattern to a coarse pattern (such as granite
> structure on the crackle particles) without also generating "granite
> fuzz particles". This is related to why you didn't get ring structure
> on the fuzz. There is probably some smart way using min / max / select
> but the things I tried didn't work as expected.

Still looking for improvements. This is the closest I could get
presently on a small scale (see image). On a large ring scale, it does
not look good/convincing at all.

Using the following code:

#declare f_particles =
function(x,y,z) {
   0.5 - f_crackle(40*x, 40*y, 40*z)
   + f_granite(x*0.1, y*0.1, z*0.1)
   - f_onion(x*10, 0, z*10)
}

isosurface {
   function { f_particles(x,y,z) }
   contained_by {
     box {<-0.50, -0.5, -0.5>, <0.5, 0.2, 0.5>}
   }

   accuracy 0.0001
   max_gradient 1000
   texture {
     pigment {srgb <0.98, 0.98, 0.98>}
   }
   translate 0.25*y
}

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'isosurface_functions_test.png' (179 KB)

Preview of image 'isosurface_functions_test.png'
isosurface_functions_test.png