POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Volumetric textures : Re: Volumetric textures Server Time
26 Jun 2024 10:57:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Volumetric textures
From: Alain
Date: 3 Jan 2015 10:51:31
Message: <54a81003@news.povray.org>

> So povray's textures are supposed to be 3D, and indeed the patterns are
> demonstrably three-dimensional, however they do not seem to be sampled for the
> inside of an object.
>
> So I guess my question is: Why not?
>
> I've seen people do some amazing things with procedural textures, but I've never
> seen a fully volumetric texture in povray.
>
> By all means, prove me wrong.
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

To get volumetric textures, you need to use some media. That media also
need to get enough samples to realy show the structure.

Try this:

box{-5 5 hollow pigment{rgbt 1}
interior{
	media{
		emission 0.2
		samples 15
		density{bozo}
		}
	}
}

You can replace the bozo pattern with any pattern you want. Some need
more samples.

Alain