POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Trio : Re: Trio Server Time
5 Jul 2024 06:03:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trio
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 31 Dec 2014 20:00:51
Message: <54a49c43$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 18:19:46 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>>> That's one way of breaking the fire triangle. Burn off all the oxygen.
>>> It's a bit extreme but interesting to see from a distance.
>>
>> It works more effectively with explosives, so I hear.  That's how they
>> put out some of the big oil fires in Kuwait after the first gulf war,
>> IIRC.
>>

> IIRC the shock wave has more to do with it than the depletion of oxygen.
> When using explosives. Might be wrong, though.

I seem to recall that the purpose was to evacuate the oxygen - so it's a
combination of the shockwave pushing oxygen out and oxygen being used up,
probably. :)

>>> Yes, reading the subtly between the lines. I get that impression ;-)
>>
>> Oh, good, I was afraid I might be being too subtle. ;)
>>
> Just a bit, IMO. But I dug deep. ;-)

I suspected you were up for the challenge. ;)

>>> No, I've not. But I have read a lot of 1950's and 60's SF. So I know
>>> that I am only wishing on you. What you have already prophesied. :-P
>>
>> Fortunately, Canada is only a 4 hour drive away for me  now. ;)
>>
> I Don't know about that being much better. If you believe Margaret
> Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale.

I've been to Vancouver, and it did have a different feel in that regard.
Probably headed back up there in January for a few days, too.

>>> No. It was a local comic. Some young teuchter lad running around the
>>> Highlands, righting wrongs and breaking unnoticed hearts.
>>
>> I liked my answer better. ;)
>>
> You would say that wouldn't you? :-P

But of course. :)

> RIP Mandy Rice-Davies. :-(

I'm not sure I follow that connection.

>> The weird thing is that I got it right the first time, and really
>> couldn't miss.  Nobody noticed I was holding the gun wrong the second
>> time, or they were taking great joy out of seeing that I couldn't hit
>> the broad side of a barn and couldn't see why. :)
>
> It is funny how we can do things correctly the first time but take years
> to get it right the second time. :-)

Ain't that the truth. :)

Jim