POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Trio : Re: Trio Server Time
5 Jul 2024 05:52:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trio
From: Stephen
Date: 31 Dec 2014 13:19:50
Message: <54a43e46$1@news.povray.org>
On 31/12/2014 17:54, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:51:19 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>

>> That's one way of breaking the fire triangle. Burn off all the oxygen.
>> It's a bit extreme but interesting to see from a distance.
>
> It works more effectively with explosives, so I hear.  That's how they
> put out some of the big oil fires in Kuwait after the first gulf war,
> IIRC.

IIRC the shock wave has more to do with it than the depletion of oxygen.
When using explosives. Might be wrong, though.

>> Yes, reading the subtly between the lines. I get that impression ;-)
>
> Oh, good, I was afraid I might be being too subtle. ;)

Just a bit, IMO. But I dug deep. ;-)

>> No, I've not. But I have read a lot of 1950's and 60's SF. So I know
>> that I am only wishing on you. What you have already prophesied. :-P
>
> Fortunately, Canada is only a 4 hour drive away for me  now. ;)

I Don't know about that being much better. If you believe Margaret
Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale.

>> No. It was a local comic. Some young teuchter lad running around the
>> Highlands, righting wrongs and breaking unnoticed hearts.
>
> I liked my answer better. ;)

You would say that wouldn't you? :-P

RIP
Mandy Rice-Davies. :-(

>>> I've got pretty good aim, or used to - though the second time skeet
>>> shooting, I didn't do so well.  It helps to hold the shotgun tight in
>>> your *shoulder*, not your upper arm.  Doing the latter will give you a
>>> very sore arm, and you won't be able to hit *anything* you intend to.
>>>

>> Even I knew that.
>> I had an imaginary lesson from a Yorkshire farmer. When I was working
>> offshore.
>
> The weird thing is that I got it right the first time, and really
> couldn't miss.  Nobody noticed I was holding the gun wrong the second
> time, or they were taking great joy out of seeing that I couldn't hit the
> broad side of a barn and couldn't see why. :)

It is funny how we can do things correctly the first time but take years
to get it right the second time. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen