POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Trio : Re: Trio Server Time
5 Jul 2024 05:56:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trio
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 31 Dec 2014 12:54:40
Message: <54a43860$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:51:19 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 22/12/2014 18:49, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 08:23:58 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>>

>>> A truly, American solution. :-P
>>
>> But of course.  Every red-blooded American knows that the way you put a
>> fire out is by adding more gasoline.  ;)
>>

> That's one way of breaking the fire triangle. Burn off all the oxygen.
> It's a bit extreme but interesting to see from a distance.

It works more effectively with explosives, so I hear.  That's how they
put out some of the big oil fires in Kuwait after the first gulf war,
IIRC.

>>> LOL You sound rightly P'd off with that one.
>>
>> You think? ;)
>>

> Yes, reading the subtly between the lines. I get that impression ;-)

Oh, good, I was afraid I might be being too subtle. ;)

>>> Use automatic gun detectors in all public places.
>>
>> Automatic gun detectors with their own firepower?  Have you not seen
>> Terminator? ;)
>>

> No, I've not. But I have read a lot of 1950's and 60's SF. So I know
> that I am only wishing on you. What you have already prophesied. :-P

Fortunately, Canada is only a 4 hour drive away for me  now. ;)

>>> I have been straining my mind to remember the comic charterer, who
>>> could have done that.
>>
>> The Knifekateer.  (A common character in the comic strip "Basic
>> Instructions" - http://basicinstructions.net/)
>>
>> Then again, the superheroes in that comic, when they appear, aren't
>> that "super", so it seems that the Knifekateer wouldn't be able to
>> manage it. ;)
>>

> No. It was a local comic. Some young teuchter lad running around the
> Highlands, righting wrongs and breaking unnoticed hearts.

I liked my answer better. ;)

>> I've got pretty good aim, or used to - though the second time skeet
>> shooting, I didn't do so well.  It helps to hold the shotgun tight in
>> your *shoulder*, not your upper arm.  Doing the latter will give you a
>> very sore arm, and you won't be able to hit *anything* you intend to.
>>

> Even I knew that.
> I had an imaginary lesson from a Yorkshire farmer. When I was working
> offshore.

The weird thing is that I got it right the first time, and really
couldn't miss.  Nobody noticed I was holding the gun wrong the second
time, or they were taking great joy out of seeing that I couldn't hit the
broad side of a barn and couldn't see why. :)

Jim