POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Saturn's Greetings : Re: Saturn's Greetings Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:41:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saturn's Greetings
From: "Jörg \"Yadgar\" Bleimann"
Date: 31 Dec 2014 08:44:46
Message: <54a3fdce@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

Am 22.12.2014 um 02:35 schrieb Christian Froeschlin:
> A little bit closer to home than galaxies, and a transparent
> excuse for playing with six recently released moon maps :)
>
> See http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4403

They are much better now... but the saturation is somewhat enhanced, or,
to be more precise, also non-visible light intensities have been taken
into account for calculation.

Inspired by these new maps, I started to re-activate my POVSolar project
(as some of you might remember, back in 2009 I worked my way from the
Sun and the inner planets halfway into the Saturn system) and thus now
continued with Mimas, the smallest spherical moon of Saturn.

To get a more realistic view, I reduced the overall saturation (-50 in
GIMP) and upped brightness (+80 in GIMP) and contrast (+25 in GIMP) to
match Mimas' high albedo, which is about 0.93.

I also did a fly-around animation of Mimas, showing Saturn and its ring
system in the background - soon to be published on YouTube.

There also now detailed shape models (ASCII tables) of the six
medium-sized icy moons of Saturn exist - in the futured, I want to
replace the simple spheres with spherical mesh2s generated from them!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Now playing: Firth Of Fifth (Genesis)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'povsolar000.png' (226 KB) Download 'povsolar216.png' (154 KB)

Preview of image 'povsolar000.png'
povsolar000.png

Preview of image 'povsolar216.png'
povsolar216.png