POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Light reading : Re: Light reading Server Time
17 May 2024 09:28:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light reading
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 23 Dec 2014 09:39:44
Message: <54997eb0$1@news.povray.org>

> On 22/12/2014 03:04 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:
>
>> IBM Selectric typewriter.
>
> Does that mean you have to change the golfball for each individual
> character? (And is that how the subscripts and superscripts work?)

No.  You just select a ball that has regular letters and math symbols.
(each ball had 72 characters, IIRC.)

Super/subscript was done with a different lever or key that raised or
lowered the key slightly.  Many typewriters - even the kiddie one I ah
when I was but a wee lad - had that option.  and for those that didn't
you simply rolled the sheet up or down using the big rollers at the
back, and then put the sheet back in place to continue typing.

Now, before you say: "but that was a lot of work"  We were used to it as
we had to do it whenever we needed to correct a mistake and apply
white-out.

> I presume the underlining is done by hand with a ruler.

Probably.  You could return the carriage to the left (hence the name
"carriage return" for \r) and type over the words that needed
underlining with the underline symbol, as well, but if you needed to
underline a big portion of the line, it was easier to use a black pen
and a ruler.