POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Playing with Milkyways : Re: Playing with Milkyways Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:35:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing with Milkyways
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Dec 2014 08:17:33
Message: <549030ed@news.povray.org>
A fundamental step forward although hardly distinguishable from previous.

Background stars again using the galaxy macros by Chris Colefax;

Dust lanes by several emission and absorption media, concentrated into
torus-like density patterns. The difficulty resides mainly in applying
interesting turbulence patterns;

40K stars in the Milky Way plane represented by (write/read) randomly
rotated spheres on the edge of a circle (radius = major radius of the
media torus), only selected if visible in image, and moved outside of
the plane by a random gaussian distribution;

Total render time of this image is about 5 minutes (only read). Writing
the positions first takes a couple of minutes more.

I am quite satisfied of what I achieved. Comments appreciated at this stage.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'planetgenesis.png' (708 KB)