POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Secret Passage WIP (TINA CHeP) : Re: Secret Passage WIP (TINA CHeP) Server Time
13 Jun 2024 07:52:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Secret Passage WIP (TINA CHeP)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 11 Dec 2014 03:20:20
Message: <548953c4$1@news.povray.org>
On 10-12-2014 21:44, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Here's my final entry for the contest.
> (I'm up against a lot of very talented competition!  :)  )
>
> I rendered it at 1751 x 1347 with 2-pass radiosity, first with "simple" textures
> and at 640 x 480 no aa, then at the large size with real textures and aa 0.3.
>
> The larger size seems to make the fit-to-screen image look MUCH better in my
> experience.
>
> I am a bit concerned that the image need to be so small to weigh-in under 350
> kB, and the jpg format seems to give it a bit of indistinctness as compared to
> the original png.  I used Paint.NET  to format my image to jpg.
>
> *** Does anyone have any suggestions for maximizing the image size while keeping
> it under 350 kB?

I am not an expert on this but I always use Yve's IC for conversion.
Sometimes I have to reduce the size a little bit - 70 or 80 percent -
but that is all and most times without any visible loss. I don't know
about Paint.NET but you should give IC a try as it is the best
application around (and free).

Good work indeed. You have come a long way from the first wips and I was
a bit worried at first but I like this very much. Well done!

Thomas