POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stock colors and gamma : Re: Stock colors and gamma Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:29:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stock colors and gamma
From: scott
Date: 1 Dec 2014 04:51:44
Message: <547c3a30$1@news.povray.org>
> The other day, I wrote a scene to display the two versions of the stock colors
> side-by-side.  (Most of the grays are omitted.)  The scene uses assumed_gamma 1.
>   The left half of each test object uses the color straight from colors.inc.  On
> the right half, the sRGB transfer function is applied.

Good job - I think this highlights the problems with having the
incorrect gamma very nicely. If you do happen to use the "wrong" gamma,
as some people do for artistic purposes, you can often manually "fix"
areas of light and shade by adjusting the scene lighting. However, your
picture shows this very nicely, having the wrong gamma actually gives
you the wrong hue for most colours, and this can't be fixed by messing
about with the brightness of the finish or the lights.

Luckily this has all been fixed in POV now, this would have (and did)
cause several huge threads a couple of years ago :-)