POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stock textures and radiosity : Re: Stock textures and radiosity Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:00:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stock textures and radiosity
From: clipka
Date: 30 Nov 2014 15:15:16
Message: <547b7ad4$1@news.povray.org>
Am 30.11.2014 18:40, schrieb Anthony D. Baye:

> So I guess the question is: Does the emission keyword supercede ambient? should
> the textures in the libraries be updated to reflect that?

Absolutely not - while technically ambient and emission essentially do
the same thing, they reflect two entirely different use cases, which the
previous ambient-only mechanism could not both cater for simultaneously
without different material definitions for radiosity and non-radiosity
scenes.

As a matter of fact, the two have been separated in POV-Ray 3.7 so that
carefully designed textures can now be used for both radiosity and
non-radiosity renders alike without change; the key is to design the
texture to work in a radiosity scene first (for reflective materials
make sure to use a light probe in your testing environment or otherwise
provide some environment to reflect), then add some ambient to lighten
up shadows in non-radiosity renders.