POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stock textures and radiosity : Re: Stock textures and radiosity Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:04:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stock textures and radiosity
From: clipka
Date: 30 Nov 2014 09:32:03
Message: <547b2a63$1@news.povray.org>
Am 29.11.2014 21:18, schrieb Anthony D. Baye:
> I'm working on a scene using textures from stones.inc, and I've noticed large
> differences in the appearance of certain textures when rendered with radiosity.
>
> the left side is without radiosity, the right side is with.  The primary texture
> is T_Stone43 and the secondary is T_Stone39
>
> I know that this is the result of ambient values in the textures, but the
> difference seems a little severe even so.

This is all because the textures were designed before radiosity got
widespread use (maybe even before the feature ever existed), and they
were quite obviously designed for effect, rather than from physical
principles.

Materials from stock commercial 3D models (like, say, from Renderosity,
DAZ3D or the like) suffer from this very same problem: Someone starts
with their favourite light setup, tweaks a figure's material until it
looks good, and then sells it for money. But it never fits with other
people's models, because they are tweaked to look best with some other
light setup.