POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stock colors and gamma : Re: Stock colors and gamma Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:47:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stock colors and gamma
From: clipka
Date: 30 Nov 2014 09:19:00
Message: <547b2754$1@news.povray.org>
Am 30.11.2014 00:35, schrieb Cousin Ricky:
> As a rule, I don't use named colors in computer applications, because I am
> convinced that the bureaucrats who assign colors to names are colorblind.

Just overly creative I'd say - someone invents "the colours of this
year's season", and they need to have /some/ name.

> About 2 years ago, I wrote a scene to plot the stock colors in a 3-D HSL
> structure, just to get an idea of how they were distributed.  After seeing all
> the colors at once, labeled, it occurred to me:  What if the colors were
> assigned using gamma 2.2 or sRGB?  After all, I had gotten the sense that
> assumed_gamma was a fairly new feature at the time I discovered POV-Ray, and it
> would seem reasonable that the colors were not assigned with linear rendering in
> mind.

That is exactly the case.
Well, to be more precise, those colors were assigned using just whatever
freakin' gamma the author's system happened to exhibit; whether that was
2.2 or 1.8 or whatever is up for speculation.

Good work on this stuff!