POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3D Glass-like block and problem with inner faces : Re: 3D Glass-like block and problem with inner faces Server Time
26 Jun 2024 08:12:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Glass-like block and problem with inner faces
From: Alain
Date: 26 Nov 2014 14:50:57
Message: <54762f21@news.povray.org>

> Here is a very simple example with just two cubes which share a common face:
>
> Link to the image:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rfkcvxlerko3qmw/Mesh2%28merged%29.png?dl=0
>
> I have used the "merge" function to merge the two cubes, but as you can see,
> the shared inner face still appears.

In this case, I'd only use a SINGLE box and use the scale to give it the
desired dimention. Something like scale <20, 35, 5>.

A merge remove the faces that are INSIDE objects that interpenetrate
each other.

In your case, the objects just touch each others, creating a coincident
faces situation that can lead to noise along it. This mean that the
merge CAN NOT remove that face as they are not realy inside another
object, even if they looks like they are.

Try this to show you how merge realy work:

union{
box{-1, 1 }
cylinder{-2*x, 2*x, 0.5}
pigment{rgbf<1, 0.5, 0.1, 0.7>
translate 1.5*y
}

merge{
box{-1, 1 }
cylinder{-2*x, 2*x, 0.5}
pigment{rgbf<0.1, 0.5, 1, 0.7>
translate -1.5*y
}

In the top, orange, object, you see the cylinder inside the box.
In the bottom, teal, object, you don't see the part of the cylinder that
goes inside the box.

Alain