POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Transparency maps : Re: Transparency maps Server Time
22 Jun 2024 06:39:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparency maps
From: Ive
Date: 26 Nov 2014 14:00:30
Message: <5476234e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.11.2014 14:12, schrieb Stephen:
> ... I was hoping that someone had devised a way to use the
> greyscale value.

#declare PP_Claud = pigment{image_map{jpeg "my_cloud_map" map_type 1
interpolate 2}}

  sphere{ 0, 1.005
    texture {
      pigment_pattern{PP_Claud}
      texture_map {
       [0.00 texture {pigment{rgb 1 transmit 1} finish{diffuse 1}}]
       [1.00 texture {pigment{rgb 1 transmit 0} finish{diffuse 1}}]
      }
    }
  }

...where "my_cloud_map" is a grayscale, not a color palette image!

and it might be a good idea to add the cloud texture to a slightly
larger scaled sphere (than the planet) and not as top layered texture as
you did.
And you didn't ask for it but anyway: adding a specular map in pretty
much the same way (giving highlights to the ocean covered area but not
to the land mass) makes it even more realistic.
You can obtain maps for this e.g. from NASA's Blue Marble page.

With some scattering media atmosphere it gives something like this:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/<4a056976@news.povray.org>

-Ive