POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : CGSphere WIP: stacked convex lenses : Re: CGSphere WIP: stacked convex lenses Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:54:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CGSphere WIP: stacked convex lenses
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 14 Nov 2014 13:03:10
Message: <546643de$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/11/2014 13:06, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 14-11-2014 12:59, Le_Forgeron wrote:

>>> I've seen "quad core" in literature not attached to this particular
>>> model, but
>>> in the POV-Ray statistics, there is a clear 8-to-1 ratio between CPU
>>> times and
>>> elapsed times.  Does this mean that there are 2 CPUs in each core?
>>>

>> Sort of... there is two full set of registers in each core, allowing to
>> run two code in parallel... as long as they do not need the same
>> resources from the core.
>>
>> at 100% cpu like povray, yes there is a 8:1 ratio between cpu times and
>> wall-clock time. Yet, if the scheduler of the operating system is not
>> too bad, if you force povray to run on less threads (with -WT<number>
>> option), you can get some surprise like -WT8 is not twice faster that
>> -WT4.
>>
>> With good schedulers, povray -WT4 would run one thread per core, leaving
>> the other set of registers idle or used by something else.
>>

> Talking of which, is there a difference between -WT and +WT? I get the
> impression that both are used indiscriminately.
>
> Thomas

Actually, for some option there is a difference between + and -
(usually one form disable the option, and the other enable it, with some
value).

For instance +KC and -KC are opposite of each other.

But +H and -H are happily setting both the height of the output.

Now, if I could find a mnemonic to remember which one is enable and
which one is disable... that would be a great year.

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)