POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: mermaid (nsfw) : Re: WIP: mermaid (nsfw) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 10:29:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP: mermaid (nsfw)
From: Tim Cook
Date: 8 Nov 2014 05:01:14
Message: <545de9ea$1@news.povray.org>
On 2014-11-08 02:19, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 8-11-2014 1:22, Tim Cook wrote:
>> Looks like all mesh2s exported from Moray have this issue.  Other
>> interesting thing about PoseRay is it doesn't seem to like quads in .obj
>> files much, which is a pity because if you want to go back and forth
>> between things, it's a nuisance having to re-quadrangulate all the
>> triangles.
>
> This is /not/ my experience with Poseray. I model exclusively in
> Silo-built quads through .obj files and never got a problem. Poser also
> exports as quads with same smooth workflow. So, something else must be
> hurting you.

Hmm.  Could be the way PoseRay handles .udo files and Moray exports .pov
for rendering?  Can work with quads /internal/ to Moray, but pulling the
.pov it generates into PoseRay and re-exporting as .udo splits
everything up.

Ah well, I need to go back and do some redesigning on my mermaid and
rebuild it so it has better topology, and improve the mirror-frame and
so forth.  End goal is to have something I can rig with a skeleton in
Maya and have a 3D-printing made, though the former needs the mesh to be
absolutely set in stone and I'm not sure if I can manage that with
anything.  Always something more to change...

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.sjcook.com