POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray is getting some bad press over some Intel-compiler shenanigans. : Re: POV-Ray is getting some bad press over some Intel-compiler shenanigans. Server Time
20 Jun 2024 07:49:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray is getting some bad press over some Intel-compiler shenanigans.
From: Chris Cason
Date: 6 Nov 2014 09:02:45
Message: <545b7f85$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/11/2014 00:34, Francois Labreque wrote:
> I hate to rehash 10 year old dirty laundry, but this guy is bad mouthing
> POV-Ray for something the Intel compiler was doing without the POV
> team's knowledge...

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not entirely sure what Joel's point is;
one thing he raised back in 2004 as a possibility was that the source
may have been 'hand-tweaked' to favour Intel, something that is
clearly offensive to the POV-Ray developers and demonstrably untrue
given (as I pointed out at the time) the source was available. If he
had built the code using the same compiler as we did he would have
gotten the same results, and nothing in the intervening ten years or
the Intel settlement changes that.

On the contrary, even if the compiler issues he claims to have
detected do exist (something I have not investigated), the very fact
that it would stem from the compiler and not from manual intervention
on our part demonstrates that he was completely out of line to raise
the possibility we may have hand-tweaked the code in Intel's favor.

-- Chris