POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Unable to compile under Ubuntu 14.04 : Re: Unable to compile under Ubuntu 14.04 Server Time
25 Apr 2024 23:15:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unable to compile under Ubuntu 14.04
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 31 Oct 2014 10:01:36
Message: <54539640$1@news.povray.org>
Le 31/10/2014 11:10, Adolph a écrit :
> Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
>> Le 22/03/2014 22:19, Hadmut Danisch nous fit lire :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I can't compile povray under Ubuntu 14.04. It fails in the configure stage:
>>>
>>> ./configure COMPILED_BY="your name <email@address>"
>>>

>> Same old story, same workaround when using gcc compiler:
>>
>> ./configure ... LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread"

>   As of 31-10-2014, Povray 3.7 Stable, for Unix, will not compile.
>  First problem is the need to enter the Unix directory and run prebuild.sh, as
> it is nowhere mentioned in the documentation.
>    First error is the BOOST error, thread lib not working. This is fixed with -
> LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread" --with-x --disable-io-restrictions. The x
> and io stuff are to ease use.
>   The second fault is -
>  checking that generated files are newer than configure... done
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: error: cannot find input file: `Makefile.in'
>   Makefile.in is indeed absent.
>   The Makefile.in in unix is blank.
>   This is total failure.
>   I bought up the Git page, as instructed before, and by a dint of random
> clicking managed to obtain Povray-Master. How I don't know.  Did the prebuild.sh
> thing, cd .. to the Pov root, ./configure stuff -
>
> apoof@Solaris:~/tmp/povray-3.7-stable$ ./configure COMPILED_BY="apoof
> <Apo### [at] gmxcom>" LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread" --with-x
> --disable-io-restrictions
>
> This worked.
> Hope this helps some others.

So does it work, or not ?

it's not enough to run prebuild.sh, you should look at its output for
any error (such as missing Automake and others...)

Is stable broken and not master ?

I'm surprised by --with-x, as 3.7 use SDL instead of X11.
(and then SDL uses X11, but that's no more the interface that povray sees)

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.