POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : dandelion : Re: dandelion Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: dandelion
From: Sean Day
Date: 16 Oct 2014 04:24:34
Message: <543f80c2$1@news.povray.org>
Norbert Kern wrote:
> "s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk>
>
> if purely SDL,
> you were better than several commercial software like e.g. xfrog !
>
> In case of that, I bend my head for the one and only real Pov prophet, who will
> save us as all...
>
> Otherwise ... the source - please!
>

> Norbert

Hi Norbert,

Thanks, probably a lot slower than commercial software though.

I am going to adjust the macros to add some parameters to help control
the various elements (number of seeds/leaf and stalk bend, textures etc)
currently this is all hard coded into the macros so not very flexible.
Once done I will upload them to the sources or object-collection thread.

The mesh has no normals applied so the triangle count is pretty high, I
will also add parameters to adjust this where less detail is required.
If I had time to workout how to calculate the normals it could have a
lot less triangles (although this would then mean calculating where to
have the edges of the triangles so as not to lose the points at the edges).

Also, I am using uv_mapping to apply the texture but I am 99.9% sure I
am not using it correctly I wanted to have the tips of the leaves a
slightly different colour so use the uv_mapping to control where on the
spline I am so the texture changes at the tip of each leaf.

Sean