POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Secret Passage WIP (TINA CHeP) : Re: Secret Passage WIP (TINA CHeP) Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Secret Passage WIP (TINA CHeP)
From: Alain
Date: 11 Oct 2014 16:30:11
Message: <54399353$1@news.povray.org>

>> Function image, maybe? (You can generate an internal greyscale image
>> from a function, and use that as input for a height field.)
>
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.0/379/
> That was an option I was unaware of.  Too much cool stuff to play with!  :)
>
>> Isosurface?
> That could totally be a very cool option considering what I've seen people do
> with isosurfaces.  Especially since it's a small scene element and so might not
> be a huge bottleneck.
>
>> Parametric?
>> Lathe?
>
> Both good suggestions I'll have to explore.
>
> With regard to the complex topology of some of the furniture, I'm wondering if
> something like a sphere sweep would get me the bulk of what I was aiming for
> quickly - especially in the case of the scroll work.  IIRC, there's a "cone
> sweep" - is there a cylinder sweep?  blob sweep?

No and No.

> I suppose those are all just specific instances of "follow this spline and plot
> this object{X} at the current point", so I could try and code that generalized
> case by hand...
>
> Thanks for the suggestions as always.  There are few threads I fail to profit
> from in some way.
>
> {Have a great weekend everyone!}

The cone sweep is only for prism. It makes the edges converge toward a
point. Good to create a pyramid.

In a sphere_sweep, each point require a radius. That radius can be
negative causing a pinch point in the sweep. OTH, each component can
only be perfectly spherical, NO scalling of any kind and NO other transform.

For a scroll, one option would be to use a sphere_sweep with components
having a very small radius, then, to apply very uneven scalling.
Something like using a radius on 0.001 unit and all points in the same
plane, then scalling by something like <1,1, 300000>.
If you only give 2D coordinates, the Z coordinate should default to zero.