POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : TekWallPuzzle : Re: TekWallPuzzle Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TekWallPuzzle
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 11 Oct 2014 03:29:32
Message: <5438dc5c@news.povray.org>
On 10/10/2014 05:40 PM, Norbert Kern wrote:

> IMHO, it's understandable seeing at the center.
> In short, rotation + warp repeat y flip y acts as a kaleidoscope, as long as you
> rotate 180 degrees (ncount_max * fA) or a multiple of it.
>
> To show, what I mean, I add an image with code spippets included.
> Distance from origin is needed to get rid of the kaleidoscope effect...
>
> Norbert

Hi Norbert,
I agree with your outline for how the method works. However, at a
fundamental level this trick still confuses me. Attached is a series of
4 renders of a unit square centered at the origin. On the left is just

All good thus far in that it makes sense to me. The introduction of the
warp in the third introduces no change as I'd expect given the repeat
should not happen until +- 1.0 in Y. Now for the final image on the

nothing more than what I would see from the two rotations of the
original pattern.

Instead, there is a discontinuity in the pattern in the upper left and
lower right quadrants. I believe this a necessary component of the
method, but I do not really understand what happened to pull the repeat

quadrants of the square +-0.5 in x&y. In other words I expect the second

than the original rotated -36*z pattern into the first warp.

and this continues in the full method as we layer the repeats. Is the
trailing repeat partly folding or collapsing the spatial coordinates of
the one before it?

We get very cool results I suppose no matter whether I can understand
things...

and I thought - more interesting result.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'z.jpg' (40 KB) Download 'dualflips.jpg' (21 KB)

Preview of image 'z.jpg'
z.jpg

Preview of image 'dualflips.jpg'
dualflips.jpg