POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : no preview : Re: no preview Server Time
4 May 2024 03:32:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: no preview
From: FlyerX
Date: 7 Oct 2014 23:48:57
Message: <5434b429$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/7/2014 2:19 AM, Nekar Xenos wrote:
> I am trying to import a poser 6 model with PoseRay (current version). When I
> import it into PoseRay I it doesn't show up in the preview window. If I check
> "orthographic" under the view panel I get a preview that resembles a black
> silhouette. If I export the normal blank version to Pov-Ray, it renders a black
> silhouette.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> -Nekar Xenos

Nekar,

Seems that PoseRay is not reading the lights properly from the Poser
scene. Since I rarely use the light setup from Poser anymore I did not
see this bug.

A workaround for now is, after importing the lights from Poser, is to
set all lights to have a fade distance of 1 unit (assuming the scaling
when importing the scene was left at 103.2). Then scale all intensities
by 10000. That should give you a light setup that matches closer to the
Poser scene. I may need to test this conversion further but it gave me
good results with some test scenes.

To set the same fade distance for all lights change the value in the
lights section, right click on the text box and select apply to all
lights. The intensity scale for all lights is at the bottom of the
lights section. Just enter 10000 and press apply. The multipliers for
each light will be very large after that.

Another workaround is to not import the lights from Poser (uncheck the
option in the Poser scene import dialog) and set them up in PoseRay. The
scene will load with a default light always attached to the camera. To
control the camera light intensity just play with the total intensity
value in the lights section.

Until recently I wrongly assumed the fade distance was the distance at
which most of the light faded away. In reality it is the distance at
which the light starts to fade. For a world in inches (if the import
scale was 103.2) A light source could be easily 2 inches across (a light
bulb). Since the source is at the center of the bulb then the distance
to start fading is 1 inch. I may still have this definition wrong but
seems to make more sense and works.

I will issue a permanent fix for this in the next update.

FlyerX