POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: mermaid (nsfw) : Re: WIP: mermaid (nsfw) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 09:51:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP: mermaid (nsfw)
From: Tim Cook
Date: 6 Oct 2014 22:30:38
Message: <5433504e$1@news.povray.org>
On 2014-10-06 17:53, andrel wrote:
> My problem with the current placing is that as far as I know there is no
> muscle there that could move the fin. Somewhat higher up one might use a
> modified abdominal muscle.
> I think if you make a vertebrate it should conform to the body plan of
> vertebrates or at least be physiological plausible. That is why I am a
> fan of Terryl Whitlatch (and not only because of the extra 'l' at the
> end of her first name).

Structure of this mermaid is directly based on my own dolphin-tailed
mermaid designs (which are more analogous to a centaur, having a two
sets of forelimbs and an extended spine).  The placement of the
nearly-vestigal dorsal fin corresponds roughly to that of a dolphin,
while the 'pectoral fins' are morphologically analogous to replacing the
legs of a human at the acetabulum of the pelvis with a dolphin's forelimbs.